Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spending time at the ballfield

Why is it that I have it in my mind that I need to plant myself in my office chair every day? 

I'm trying to do a better job of getting to where our teenagers are these days - ball fields/courts/dance floors/stages.  On Monday, I was only planning to see one of our youth play baseball (I showed up for a game with a team that they had previously beated 41-0 - yes, that's the correct score).  It turns out that another youth was playing soccer at the same school, so I got to watch her too (I left when it was 5-0 in the 1st half; not sure the other team ever got it past midfield). 

I'd like to move into "Jimmy mode".  Jimmy is a character from Seinfeld (my favorite TV show).  Jimmy always speaks of himself in 3rd person.  For the rest of my post, I shall move into Jimmy mode (If you're having a rough day, click here for some Jimmy clips.  If you're having a great day, click on the link).

Jimmy
image from http://www.dailyseinfeld.com/
Theoretical Michael believes that he needs to be spending less time in the office.  Realistic Michael believes that spending time in the office is more important.  He believes this because there is a flat cushion in his office, which means he's gained too much weight or he's sitting too much.  How shall realistic Michael respond to all the e-mails from congregants and make sure that all the details are taken care of for his upcoming retreat if he's at the ball fields?

Theoretical Michael knows that what he believes to be most important is shown by what he spends most of his time doing.  His actions are showing that office time trumps most everything else.

non-Jimmy mode

I really enjoyed myself on Monday - being outside, breathing in fresh air, seeing blue sky instead of the whiteish/yellowish demons called the lights in my office, seeing where some of the youth at PRBC experience life - on a field, enjoying their ability to run around, chasing a pelota and laying the smack down.

I'm gonna give my office chair cushion a break in the next several weeks - spring retreat, lacrosse games, softball game, musical, baseball games, seeing my own son play baseball (he's in a slump; rub some chicken bones together for him).  I hope that I'll take notice of the joy that others have while on the field.  I hope that I'll take notice of my own joy of seeing people do what they love to do, things that are bringing our youth life. 

I really hope that I'll just enjoy myself.  Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment