Thursday, April 5, 2012

feeling better about myself as a parent

I broke down and watched Toddlers and Tiaras last night for the first time.  I have a new appreciation for myself as a parent - I'm pretty good.

For those of you who don't know about the show - it's a show on TLC that follows around different contestants and their families as they prepare for and compete in child pageants.  Here is some silliness from the show:


I couldn't take my eyes off of the TV last night (and I'm paying for it this morning).  Parents continually did things to their children that were not in their best interest (giving them sugar-laced food (pixie sticks are known as pageant crack) and drink (Mountain Dew is known as Special Juice) to give them some energy, putting tips on your child's fingers because she threw a temper-tantrum, even though the "stylist" had said it probably would damage her fingernails).   

Children continued to rule the roost in these houses.  On more than 1 occassion, I heard a child say, "I'm the boss".  Children would continually scream until they got their way.  I found myself fussing at the parents on TV - "what are you thinking?", "don't let your child talk to you that way - you are the parent and they are not."

A funny from last night - the emcee would share something with the crowd that was unique about each contestant.  "When Heaven grows up, she wants to...", "Alana enjoys playing with her dolls and looks forward to shooting her first deer...", but my favorite from last night - "Susan's favorite food is formula". 



Please don't come to my house and critique my parenting - I'm far from perfect.  We all are, but I think we do a pretty darn good job. 

As I'm beginning to think about my Sabbatical (I'm putting together a conference of what will youth ministry look like in the future), I'm been wondering about parenting and kids' needs.  What do kids need to help them grow up into mature adults that we'd be proud to call our own?  What do parents need to help them on this journey?  What will a youth ministry (and for that matter, the Church) look like that provides what kids and parents need?

I wonder what these children will look like when they're teenagers?  when they're adults?  Will they have learned how to listen to others?  Will they ever learn that the universe doesn't center around them?  When rules need to be enforced, how much will the parents be seen as the authority?

I want to begin a new reality show - "Teens of child pageantry fame".  Anybody willing to sponsor me?


"What will these children look like when they're adults?"  Hmmm...  


                                                             I miss you Tammy Faye

No comments:

Post a Comment